Don't Wait Until It's Too Late-Know the signs of bowel cancer
Help Prevent Bowel Cancer -Know the signs that something might be wrong
Affecting men and women, young and old, bowel cancer is Australia’s second biggest cancer killer.
1 in 13 Australians will be diagnosed with bowel cancer in their lifetime. However, when detected early, 90% of cases can be treated successfully.
What is bowel cancer?
Bowel cancer, also known as colorectal cancer, can affect any part of the large bowel (colon) or rectum; it may also be referred to as colon cancer or rectal cancer, depending on where the cancer is located.
Who can get bowel cancer?
Bowel cancer affects men and women, young and old.
Around 30% of people who develop bowel cancer have either a hereditary contribution, family history or a combination of both. The other 70% of people have no family history of the disease and no hereditary contribution.
The risk of developing bowel cancer rises sharply and progressively from age 50, but the number of Australians under age 50 diagnosed with bowel cancer has been increasingly steadily. That’s why it’s important to know the symptoms of bowel cancer and have them investigated if they persist for more than two weeks.
Signs or symptoms something might be wrong:
During the initial stages of bowel cancer, patients may have no symptoms, which is why screening is so important. Bowel Cancer Australia recommends screening every 1 to 2 years from age 50 for people at average risk, in accordance with medical guidelines.
-A change in bowel habit, especially going to the toilet more often or having looser, more diarrhoea-like movements for several weeks.
-Blood in the bowel movement or rectal bleeding.
-A change in appearance of bowel movements.
-Unexplained anaemia causing tiredness or weight loss.
-A lump or swelling in your abdomen.
Any of the above symptoms should be investigated by your GP if they persist for more than two weeks.
Want to help raise awareness?
Find out more here https://www.bowelcanceraustralia.org/how-you-can-help
Don’t delay, visit your GP and get screened today!
Call us now on 4352 8600.